In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, preserves entries must meet the following standards:
• Made in the USA or US territories.
• Free of artificial ingredients, including colors, flavors and preservatives.
• Free of genetically modified ingredients, including GM pectin.
• Made with ingredients that are foraged or grown:
• With respect for seasonality.
• Without the use of synthetic inputs including herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizers.*
Additionally, preserves entries must fit within one of these subcategories.
*Sugar, and ingredients that make up less than 2% of the product, such as pectin and spices, may be sourced from farther afield, and are not required to be grown organically due to barriers in cost and access in some regions. Citrus juice (up to 15%) added to increase acidity of the preserve is also allowed to be sourced from outside the region of entry but must be grown in the same spirit as the primary preserved fruit (using the above organic standards) and sourced domestically where possible.