In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, pickles entries must be made in the USA with ingredients that are foraged or grown:
• With respect for seasonality.*
• Without synthetic inputs including herbicides, pesticides, fungicides and fertilizer.
• Without genetically modified organisms (including GM beet sugar and vinegar derived from GM corn).
The final product must also be:
• Made without any artificial ingredients.
• Made with domestic, non-petroleum based vinegar, where vinegar is used.
• And unpasteurized, if the product is kombucha.
Additionally, pickles entries must fit within one of the following subcategories:
*Ingredients that make up less than 2% of the product, such as spices, may be sourced from farther afield.