In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, pantry entries must meet the following standards:
• Made in the USA or US territories.
• Made with a balanced objective of local, organic and highest-quality.*
• Made with transparency in supply chain.**
• Free of high fructose corn syrup and artificial ingredients, including colors, flavors and preservatives.
• Made with rBGH-free milk, where milk is used.
• Made with domestic, non-petroleum based vinegar where vinegar is used.
• Free of genetically modified ingredients.
• Made with spices that are certified organic, Fair Trade or traceable to the farm level.***
Additionally, pantry entries must fit within one of the following subcategories:
• Pantry Sauces & Pastes (e.g., miso, sambal, curry paste, hot sauce, BBQ sauce)
• Salsas, Relishes & Chutneys (e.g., onion chutney, tomatillo salsa)
• Condiments (e.g., mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard)
• Flavor Bases (e.g., fish sauce, soy sauce)
• Maple Syrups
• Nut Butters
*Ingredients that make up less than 2% of the product, such as spices, sugar or lemon juice, may be sourced from farther afield, or from a larger distributor.
**That is, an earnest attempt is made to verify the origin and production methods of the ingredient. If made with ingredients that are not grown domestically on a commercial scale, a farm-direct or certified organic source is sought out and documentation of this search, including notes on calling distributors, is provided.
***If less than 2% of ingredients in the product do not meet this stipulation, the entry will not be disqualified.