Oil entries must meet the following standards:
• Made in the USA or US territories.
• Made with olives, avocados, nuts or seeds.
• Pressed from ingredients from the most recent harvest and grown in the region of entry.
• Free of genetically modified ingredients.
• Free of artificial ingredients, including colors, flavors or preservatives.
• Use ingredients grown using fair labor practices.
• Use ingredients grown without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizers.*
• Oil comes from a first pressing and is not subjected to added heat or chemical extractors throughout the entire process.
• The entry is not a third party private label oil, where finished oil from another source has been purchased and rebranded.
Additional criteria for olive oil entries:
• Growers must demonstrate an effort to use sustainable practices in water conservation and waste management.
• Non-flavored olive oils are certified as extra virgin by a COOC- or IOC-recognized panel.**
Additional criteria for flavored oil entries:
• Base oil must meet all above criteria except the extra virgin certification requirement for olive oils.
• Added flavor ingredients, including but not limited to spices, herbs and fruit, must be domestically sourced and meet the above criteria related to sustainable growing techniques and fair labor practices.
• Flavor must come from either infusing the actual flavor ingredient in the oil or pressing it with the oil and not by adding a flavoring extract or oil.
Additionally, oil entries must fit within one of the following subcategories:
• Olive Oil
• Nut Oil
• Seed Oil
• Avocado Oil
• Flavored Oil
*Oils made with avocados, nuts or seeds grown with minimal synthetic inputs using Integrated Pest management practices will be permitted.
**California Olive Oil Council or International Olive Council