In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, honey entries must meet the following criteria:
• Be the bona fide product of the entrant’s own bees.
• Harvested between August 2015 and August 2016.
• Extracted with minimal heat (100°) and, after extraction, not exposed to heat greater than 120°.
• Strained and/or filtered to leave in pollen.
• Produced in the USA.
• If made with inclusions (such as fruit and herbs):
• That grow domestically, inclusions are locally sourced wherever possible; traceable; and grown without synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizers.
• That are not grown domestically on a commercial scale, they are farm-direct, certified organic or Fair Trade certified.
By beekeepers who owned and/or managed the bees locally and extracted the honey, and:
• Practice good animal husbandry, including:
• Not locating hives within a five-mile radius of crops that receive heavy usage of agrochemicals.
• Not regularly relocating the hives major distances for pollination services.
• Management of hives using minimal chemical interventions (miteicides, antibiotics, etc.), and following prescribed application guidelines.
• Feeding balanced nutrition when needed, with no high fructose corn syrup.
• Practice social responsibility, including:
• Engaging the community in education.
• If staff is employed in tending the hives and harvesting the honey, they are treated respectfully and given fair compensation.
Additionally, honey entries must fit within one of the following subcategories:
• Liquid & Naturally Crystallized