In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, preserved fish entries must meet the following standards:
• Caught or farmed in US waters.
• Processed and handcrafted in the USA or US territories.
• Free of artificial ingredients, including colors, flavors and preservatives.
• All ingredients, animal or otherwise, must be sustainably sourced, traceable, non- GMO, and wherever possible grown without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizers.*
• Caught or farmed with respect and fair compensation for everyone working on the vessel, farm and in the kitchen.
• Made with fish or shellfish from well-managed, environmentally responsible fisheries and farms. Farmed finfish must be from land-based facilities, and fed a non-GMO diet free of animal by-products.
• All wild caught or farmed fish must be rated “Best Choice” or “Good Alternative” by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch®.**
• Swordfish must be caught in US waters using harpoons, handlines or deep-set buoy gear only.
Additionally, fish entries must fit within one of the following subcategories:
• Smoked Seafood & Gravlax
• Pates & Rilletes
• Roe, Ikura & Caviar
• Water- and oil-packed
*If less than 2% of ingredients in the product do not meet this stipulation, the entry will not be disqualified.
** The Good Food Awards will refer to Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch® Guiding Principles should there be any question as to eligibility based on these criteria. Species that are not rated by Seafood Watch will be evaluated on a case by case basis. Please email email@example.com with any eligibility questions.