In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, confection entries must meet the following criteria:
• Free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
• Free of genetically modified ingredients.
• Free of high fructose corn syrup.
• If made with chocolate, it does not contain vegetable oil, palm oil, or hydrogenated fats.
• If made with dairy, eggs, or meat, these are locally sourced and/or certified organic, free range, hormone free, and from animals raised using good animal husbandry.*
• If made with inclusions and flavorings that grow domestically, they are locally sourced wherever possible, traceable, and grown without synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, or fertilizers.**
• If made with inclusions and flavorings that are not grown domestically on a commercial scale, they are farm-direct, certified organic, or Fair Trade certified.
Additionally, confections entries must fit within one of the following subcategories:
• Bon bons
• Brittles, Toffee, and Nuts
• Candied Fruit and Pate de Fruit
• Candy Bars
*The Good Food Awards will refer to the Animal Welfare Approved guidelines to define “good animal husbandry” should there be any questions as to eligibility based on this criterion.
**If less than 1% of ingredients in the product do not meet this stipulation, the entry will not be disqualified.
Note that we encourage but do not require confections entrants use chocolate that is bean to bar, Fair Trade or Organic Certified, and sourced from companies that make an effort to understand cacao growing practices and work directly with their cacao farmers.