In order to be eligible for a Good Food Award, cheese entries must meet the following standards:
• Made in the USA or US territories.
• Made by the entrant’s own company, with milk from animals raised using good animal husbandry* with access to the outdoors.
• Made without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fungicides or fertilizers on the pastures.
• Made without hormones or sub-therapeutic antibiotics.
• Made with rBGH-free milk.
• Made with sustainable repurposing of byproducts, such as whey, where possible.
• Made with milk from animals fed local, GM-free feed where available. Where it is not, the crafter is invested in being an agent of change towards greater availability, by working with suppliers and local granges, vocalizing their interest in this type of local feed if and when it becomes available.**
• Made with other ingredients, such as rennet, starter cultures, yogurt additions, herbs and washes that are sourced domestically or locally (where possible) and produced without the use of synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, fertilizers and non-GMO.
Additionally, cheese entries must fit within one of the following subcategories:
**Our intention is that producers make their best efforts to balance the realities of feed supplies with the ideals of responsible and sustainable production methods.